Three Charged with Subvention with EU Funds
The Anti-corruption Office has accused three entrepreneurs from East Slovakia of subvention and damaging the financial interests of the European Communities, after they allegedly misused EU funding.
The police are accusing the three men of unjust gain from the European Regional Development Fund and the Slovak state budget, with damages cited at around EUR 276,000.
Companies in the town of Roznava run by two of the men received non-returnable financial assistance worth almost EUR 343,000 in April 2010 as half the money required for new innovative technologies to their production operations. They submitted falsified and overpriced invoices for the machinery, however.
The ERDF covered 85% of the amount as part of the Operational Programme Competitiveness and Economic growth, with the other 15% coming from the state budget. If found guilty, the three speculators could face a prison sentence of 7-12 years.