The Migration Information Centre (MIC) with IOM (International Organization for Migration) draws attention to the important legislative changes in the area of residence and employment of foreigners in the Slovak Republic.
From 1 January 2014, an amendment of the Act No. 404/2011 Coll. on Residence of Foreigners and Act No. 5/2004 Coll. on Employment Services comes into effect. The changes concern mainly the following issues:
* It introduces the so-called single permit, which is a new type of temporary residence for the purpose of employment and will simplify employment of foreign nationals in Slovakia.
* Broadening the group of foreign nationals who may be employed without the need of a work permit.
* It introduces the obligation to hold a work permit for the period of the first 12 months from the date of being granted temporary residence for certain categories of foreigners.
* Increase in the number of hours during which university students may work without the need of a work permit.
* Broadening application of the 30-day protection period in case of duly completed university studies also to Slovak Government scholarship holders.
You can visit the website of the MIC for more information.